TN Visa for NAFTA Professionals
Under NAFTA’s TN visa, citizens of Canada and Mexico may be eligible to work in the U.S. in certain designated professions. The designated professions range from accountants, dentists, engineers, pharmacists, and many others. The full list of professions that qualify for TN visa status can be found here.
A TN visa applicant must generally meet the following requirements:
- The applicant is a citizen of Canada or Mexico
- The applicant’s profession is listed as a NAFTA approved profession. The full list of professions that qualify under NAFTA can be found here
- There is a valid job offer from a U.S. employer for a NAFTA approved profession
- The applicant possesses the necessary professional credentials
- Unlike the H-1B visa, the TN visa is not subject to an annual cap.
- The initial period of stay is up to three years with indefinite extensions of stay possible.
- The spouse and children (under the age of 21) of a TN visa holder may be admitted to the U.S. as dependents in TD status.
- Dependents may not work in the U.S., but may attend school.